Reports in the Press today confirm that the NASUWT
- A 45-year-old school worker who intervened to help a colleague who was being attacked by a pupil was himself attacked and was awarded £268,787.
- A 39-year-old teacher received a settlement worth £240,000 after working in a poorly ventilated workshop.
- A teacher who slipped on a patch of moss, breaking her leg in two places and dislocating her ankle was awarded £66,291.
What Does The Law Say?
Employers, in this case Schools or Local Councils, have a duty of care to take steps to make sure that their Staff are ‘reasonably’ safe. There are 6 main Health & Safety Regulations which are designed to protect Employees at work although the list of them is endless:
- Management of Health & Safety at Work Regs 1999
- Workplace (Health, Safety & Welfare) Regs 1992
- Provision and Use of Work Equipment Regs 1998
- Personal Protective Equipment at Work Regs 1992
- Manual Handling Operations Regs 1992
- Health & Safety (Display Screen Equipment) Regs 1992
What Do The Specialists Say?
If you are an employee and have been injured at work you should contact a Specialist Solicitor as soon as possible.
David Healey from Carter & Carter Solicitors in Stockport commented on the compensation payments to teachers:
“Every employee, teachers included, wants to know that when they go to work they are going to be safe. People spend half their lives at work to pay for their homes and the precious time they spend with their family and friends. Employers have a duty to make sure their employees are safe and if an employee is injured because of something which could be avoided it shouldn’t come as a surprise that a claim for compensation is made. Employers should routinely carry out Risk Assessments which will highlight any potential dangers and minimise any risk.
We have acted for hundreds of people who have been injured at work and the amount of compensation awarded could easily run to tens of thousands. Accidents range from slips and trips on School premises to poorly maintained equipment and almost anything else you could think of”
Do You Want To Know More?
If you want to find out more from our website about claiming compensation for accidents at work, simply click here.
What We Can Do For You
We are accident at work compensation Solicitors and specialise in dealing with accident at work claims and claiming accident at work compensation. We will run your accident at work compensation claim against the responsible company to ensure that you receive the maximum amount of accident at work compensation.
What To Do Now
If you want to speak to a Specialist now contact us on:
EMAIL: [email protected]
TEL: 01663 761 892