Hair Dye Claims
Hair Dye Claims can arise from allergic reactions taking place either in the home following the purchase of Home Hair Dye Kits or in the Hairdresser’s salon.
Hair dye to transform your appearance is a very popular way of changing your look. There are several reasons for this; it can be both fashionable and practical, especially if you want to camouflage grey hair.
But even though this has become so normal in our society, there are still risks involved with hair dyeing. The most common injuries involving permanent hair dye claims are allergic reactions caused by allergies to hair dyes or other substances which may cause an intolerance.
Either way, in view of the seriousness of the possible allergic reaction to the chemicals in the Hair Dye all necessary precautions must be carried out to minimise the risk of injury.
Hair Dye Treatment at Home.
Choosing to carry out a Hair Dye Product in the comfort of the home is becoming ever more popular especially as home Hair Dye products are considerably cheaper than a visit to the beauty hair salon.
It maybe that you want to apply a temporary hair dye to your natural colour or a permanent hair dye.
The consumer protection regulations of the United Kingdom set out a clear responsibility on hair dye manufacturers, importers and distributors of hair dye products to ensure that any cosmetic sold is safe. Hair dye products sold without meeting this requirement may be considered defective by a court. This includes the safety of hairdressers who sell home hair dye ki, even if they are not the importer/manufacturer.
If you want to try Dyeing your hair at home what sort of things should you bear in mind in an effort to protect yourself?
- Read and follow the instructions carefully and do not proceed if you are in any doubt about what to do;
- Ensure that you complete a patch test at least 48 hours before;
- Repeat the patch test every single time because manufacturers will sometimes change the chemical composition of the product and you may have a different reaction every time you use the same time;
- Also bear in mind that your skin can change every 4-6 weeks and therefore even if the product doesn’t change there is always the risk that you can suffer a Hair Dye allergic reaction.
What to do following a Hair Dye Allergic Reaction at Home?
- First things first – these sort of reactions need urgent and immediate medical attention. The severity of the reaction will depend on the extent of your skin that has been exposed to hair dyes;
- Ensure that you retain all the components of the hair dye kit as well as all the packaging and instructions;
- When at all possible take a series of photographs showing your hair dye allergic reaction;
- Keep the receipt safe for the Hair Dye product as this will be needed for your Hair Dye Claim;
- Seek legal advice from Solicitors specialising in Hair Dye Claims.
Hair Dye Treatment at a Salon.
For the reasons outlined above Hair dressers should conduct a skin test every 4-6 weeks and furthermore Hairdressers should do a strand test before every application of bleach. Failing to do this is asking for trouble and will in itself on the face it give rise to a Hair Dye Claim.
Professional tints tend to have a large amount of chemicals in them and the salon or hairdresser needs to ensure that the client doesn’t develop any symptoms as the procedure is actually carried out.
Caution is always the best practice to adopt and if you are having your hair bleached, as a matter of course, your hair should be checked at regular intervals of 10 – 15 minutes to ensure that the colour is developing in the right way. Once the bleaching process has been completed your hair should be rinsed with plenty of cold water.
Should your hair feel itchy or your scalp is burning you should let somebody know immediately, and then the hair dye should be removed.
The Importance of Patch Tests in Avoiding Allergic Reactions to Hair Dye
When you go to get your hair dyed, the last thing you want is an allergic reaction.
One of the most important things you can do is patch test your skin before dying your hair. This will help you determine if you might have an allergic reaction to any of the ingredients in the dye.
If you are allergic, this will give you time to get treatment before dyeing your hair or you may simply decide that the risks involved going ahead are too high.
The Patch test is done by applying a tiny amount of the dye to the inside of your elbow or behind your ear and waiting 48 hours for an allergic reaction. If you don’t have an allergic reaction during that time period, then generally it’s safe to use the dye on your hair.
Many personal injury claims that we see arise out of the beautician simply failing to carry out a patch test at all or undertaking one inside the 48 hour window when it is ineffective.
So if you’re considering dying your hair, be sure to get a patch test first to avoid any allergic reactions whether that is a minor allergic reaction or a full blown hair dye injury.
Hair Dye Injuries – What Can Go Wrong?
As far as skin conditions go, allergies are some of the hardest ones to deal with because they manifest themselves differently on different people. In particular, there are several substances which can cause strong allergic reactions or even anaphylactic shock giving rise to potential allergic reaction claims.
Severe allergic reaction can occur in anyone whose skin is exposed to something that their immune system sees as harmful, such as hair dye ingredients.
Symptoms of allergic reaction at hair salons can include redness and itchy skin which may develop into a rash that blisters and then peals off. There may also be swelling of the face or around your eyes leading to breathing difficulties or swallowing.
These symptoms usually appear within hours but sometimes reactions can take days before they surface – so keep a careful note of any allergic reactions to hair dye you have in the future!
The most common hair dye ingredients to cause allergic reactions are ammonia, hydrogen peroxide and resorcinol. There have been cases where people have suffered allergic reaction to PPD (para-phenylenediamine) which can cause skin irritation.
If you have any of these symptoms after using hair dye, wash the dye off straight away and seek medical advice. You may need to take antihistamines and/or corticosteroids to relieve your symptoms.
Check first: Hairdressers recommend that if you suspect you may be allergic to a particular ingredient, do not colour your hair with that product for some time before doing so. This may allow any symptoms of an allergic reaction to disappear and then check with your doctor or dermatologist that you can use the product safely.
What happens if I am allergic? If there is a reaction as a result of exposure of the skin to these harmful ingredients it is possible that your immune system will react by producing Immunoglobulin E (IgE), which is an antibody. This will trigger chemicals such as histamine to be released in your body, which can cause the symptoms of allergy.
What other ingredients should I watch out for? It is rare to suffer an allergic reaction to hair dye products containing non-permanent colourants and conditioners. However, there may be a link between asthma and sensitivity to these types of products by people who already have allergies and asthma. Be careful therefore if you do discover that you are sensitive or allergic to beauty products because you could find that this makes your asthma worse too.
Did You Know? Hairdressers recommend that if you suspect you may be allergic to a particular ingredient, do not colour your hair with that product for some time before doing so. This may allow any symptoms of an allergy to disappear and then check with your doctor or dermatologist that you can use the product safely.
What to do Following an Allergic Reaction to Hair Dye?
It is important to remember that an allergic hair dye reaction can be dangerous and even life-threatening.
Hair dye allergies can vary from person to person. Some people may be allergic to just one ingredient in a hair dye product, while others may be allergic to multiple ingredients.
If you have suffered a hair dye allergic reaction, it is important to take the necessary steps to ensure that you receive the appropriate treatment and do not suffer any further complications.
- If you experience any itching, redness, or swelling after applying hair dye, rinse the product off immediately and seek medical treatment and help. Do not wait for the symptoms to go away on their own – this could lead to further health complications. Do not try to treat the reaction on your own.
- Retain the hair dye product and all the packaging, if possible.
- Ask the beauty salon for an explanation as to why you suffered the allergic reaction. They may be able to provide further information on the ingredients in the hair dye that caused your allergy and may well acknowledge that they have done something wrong.
- Make sure to keep all documentation related to your hair dye allergic reaction, including receipts and ingredients lists, as this information may be needed if you decide to make a claim.
- If you decide to bring a hair dye injury claim against the hairdressing salon where the reaction occurred this can help cover any medical expenses and other costs associated with your injury.
- If you are thinking about pursuing a personal injury claim for a hair dye injury then it’s crucial you take a series of photographs which show the reaction to the hair dye allergy. To claim compensation you will certainly need to give your personal injury solicitor a whole series of photographs showing the reaction to the hair dye. These photographs, which should be taken over time, will illustrate any severe reactions, any hair thinning and the overall hair damage involved.
At our law firm, we have a wealth of experience helping people who have suffered hair dye injuries and allergic reactions.
We understand how devastating these injuries can be, and we are here to help you claim the maximum compensation you deserve.
If you would like more information about bringing a hair dye injury claim please contact us today for a free consultation.
We would be delighted to discuss your claim with you and answer any questions you may have.
How much Compensation for my Hair Dye Compensation Claim?
If you have suffered a hair dye injury claim you may be wondering how much compensation you could claim.
The hair dye injury claim process can be a little daunting, especially if you’re not sure what you’re entitled to.
- In general, the amount of damages that can be claimed for a reaction to hair dye will depend on the severity of the reaction and any associated medical costs or lost income.
- In some cases, reaction to hair dye can lead to very serious health complications. If you have been hospitalised as a result of your allergy, or if it has caused long-term damage to your health, you may be able to claim a substantial amount in damages.
- If your allergic reaction to hair has resulted in only minor discomfort, however, your hair dye injury compensation is likely to be lower. Regardless of the severity of your reaction, it is important to seek legal advice as soon as possible to ensure you receive the maximum amount of compensation you are entitled to.
- In very broad terms there is “general damages” for pain and suffering – this is usually calculated based on how serious your reaction was and how long it lasted
- In addition “special damages” cover your quantifiable items of expense so this includes for example any medical expenses or lost income incurred as a result of the reaction to hair dye.
- When it comes to determining general damages, a medical assessment may be needed. This will be arranged by your personal injury solicitor and the medical expert will talk through all aspects of injury in order determine the nature and extent of your personal injury and consider if there is and recommended treatment to facilitate your recovery.
If you have suffered hair dye injury including anaphylactic shock, hair loss, allergic reactions contact us for free legal advice and our specialist personal injury solicitors will be pleased to help you with your injury claim.
We will be able to assess your case and advise you on the best course of action with free advice for your injury claim.
Claim Compensation for Your Allergic Reaction to Hair Dye
If you have suffered a reaction after dyeing your hair, you may be entitled to compensation.
At Carter & Carter Solicitors, we can help you start your claim for compensation with no upfront fees.
Allergic reactions to hair dye can be very serious, and in some cases may even be life-threatening.
If you have suffered an allergic reaction after using hair dye, you may be able to make a compensation claim against the manufacturer or retailer responsible.
We are here to help you get the compensation you deserve.
Our specialist solicitors will handle your case on a No Win No Fee basis, so there is no financial risk to you.
To find out more about making a compensation claim for an allergic reaction to hair dye, please call us today on 0800 652 0586. Alternatively, you can contact us using our online claims form.
We look forward to helping you get the justice you deserve.
Hair Dye Allergic Reactions FAQs
When it comes to hair dye, many people are unaware of the risks associated with using chemical dyes on their hair.
In some cases, these dyes can cause an allergic reaction, which can lead to a hair dye injury claim.
If you have suffered an allergic reaction after using hair dye, read on for some FAQs about how to claim compensation.
Who is responsible for compensation?
The person who caused the allergic reaction is responsible for compensation. This could be the manufacturer of the hair dye, or the salon or shop where the dye was bought or applied.
What are the symptoms of an allergic reaction?
The symptoms of an allergic reaction vary depending on how severe it is. They can include redness, itching and swelling around the scalp, neck and face. It’s also common for people to suffer with skin irritation such as the development of hives or a rash. In some instances there may be respiratory symptoms involved associated with difficulty breathing and in the most serious of reactions anaphylaxis may occur which can be life threatening.
Do I have a claim?
If you have suffered an allergic reaction to hair dye, you may be able to claim compensation.
If you needed immediate medical attention once the hair dye had been applied it’s a sign you might have a valid basis for a claim. This is particularly the case if the salon applied the dye without providing any information about the potential risks involved.
However, it is important to note that not all reactions will qualify for compensation.
In order to make a successful claim, your reaction must have been severe enough to cause lasting damage or required hospital treatment.
What are the steps I need to take?
If you think you may have a personal injury claim, the best course of action is to speak with a personal injury lawyer about your hair dye injury.
They will be able to assess your case and advise you on the claims process and the best way to proceed with your injury claim.
Can I make a claim if the salon was at fault?
In some cases, the salon where the hair dye was applied may be held liable for your reaction. This may be the case if they did not adhere to safety regulations or if they were negligent in their duties. However, it is important to note that the salon will only be held liable if they were directly responsible for your reaction.
Allergic reaction to hair dye is very often the salon’s fault simply because you are entrusting them to look after you and it is the salons expertise that you are relying upon.
What compensation could I receive?
If you are successful in your claim, you could receive compensation for medical expenses, loss of earnings, and pain and suffering.
The amount you receive will vary depending on the severity of your reaction and the damage you have suffered.
The first step is to speak to an experienced personal injury lawyer. They will be able to advise you on the best course of action, and will help you to file a compensation claim.
I have a hair dye allergy – what should I do?
If you have a hair dye allergy, it is important to take steps to protect yourself from potential reactions.
Before having any beauty treatment, including hair dyeing, it is important to inform the salon of your allergy.
They should then be able to take steps to protect you from coming into contact with the allergen.
If you experience any hair dye reactions after a beauty treatment, such as a rash or shortness of breath, seek medical attention immediately.
If you have suffered an allergic reaction to hair dye, you may be eligible for compensation.
To find out more about hair dye claims, speak to a personal injury lawyer about claiming compensation today.
Hair Dye Claims – How we can Help You?
- If you have received an injury of this type you may well be able to bring compensation for allergic reaction claims on a No Win No Fee basis.
- We will be able to assess your case and determine whether you have a valid claim for compensation.
- Please contact us for help and guidance with a view to recovering maximum compensation for your injury claim.
- 100% of our hair dye or beautician personal injury claims are made on a No Win No Fee Claim basis which means that you do not have to worry about any financial risk at all as if your claim is unsuccessful it will not cost you anything.
- Chat to our No Win No Fee Claim Solicitors for free legal advice.
Contact our Allergic Reaction Claims Solicitors now on free phone 0800 652 0586 for a free consultation to discuss your compensation claim.
We are able to give you immediate legal representation, rehabilitation and treatment for your injury claim no matter where you are in England or Wales.
We are personal injury solicitors that provide hair dye allergic reactions advice including:
- Home visits
- Hospital visits for those who are unable to meet us at home
- Face to face meeting at one of our private meeting rooms based in most UK cities.
Making Personal Injury Claims Easier for you ….
because……if you don’t ask you’ll never know!
Carter & Carter Solicitors
“Our Client, Shauna Yorke left us a 5 star Google Review and said: “I would definitely recommend this company, Mr Chris Carter have helped and supported me throughout my claim. My case was very complicated and was a long and lengthy process and we successfully won it. He has dealt with my case with professionalism […]
Shauna Yorke ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐