Allergy Claims are becoming all too common. The effects of allergies can be really serious and even life threatening. It’s all the more depressing as these claims are entirely avoidable. We can help to put things right.
Allergy Claims – what’s the trigger?
Allergy claims are now increasingly common and despite the serious allergic reactions there seems to be a real apathy amongst certain restaurants and food establishments when dealing with dietary requests.
There needs to be full and proper training provided for the staff and they need to understand the stark realisation that allergic reactions can be life threatening.
Allergic reactions arise when the auto-immune system reacts spontaneously to what is normally a harmless substance.
This response can follow after inhalation, digestion or by contact with the skin.
If allergic to the substance then the body’s immune system reacts as if it is under attack and releases histamine in an effort to defend the body.
This over reaction to a substance is known as anaphylaxis or anaphylactic shock
The reaction can be mild but it can also be severe and in some cases fatal.
See here for a helpful overview of food allergies.
Different types of Allergic Reactions?
Here are just a few of the different types of allergic reactions which may give rise to allergy compensation claims in certain circumstances:
- Nut Allergies – this type of allergy has become increasingly common and can lead to a serious anaphylactic reaction requiring immediate medical attention. We often receive inquiries from clients who have inadvertently eaten nuts when eating out even though they have told the food establishment that they are nut allergy sufferers and cannot consume nuts for medical reasons.
- Hair Dye Allergies – the problem here is that the chemicals contained within the dye can cause an allergic reaction which can be serious and even life threatening. The key to this is to ensure that the Hair Stylist performs a “patch test” before the main treatment so there is a warning if the client is or has become allergic to any of the substances in the formula. If this type of test is not undertaken then there will be good grounds for bringing a Hair Dye claim.
- Gluten Allergies – many people have an intolerance to wheat and again it is so important that food labeling is accurate and can be relied upon. Restaurants across the land are declaring that they have gluten free menu but sadly, as were only too aware, mistakes are made with far reaching consequences.
- Contact Lenses – this serves to illustrate how pervasive allergies can be. The wearing of contact lenses can trigger all sorts of allergic reactions which can result in a whole range of horrible symptoms such as swelling, mucous discharge and puffiness in and around the eyes. To illustrate how nasty this can be we spotted a” terrifying reaction” reported in the press for one poor lady who was afraid she might go blind following the purchase of some novelty contact lenses.
- Latex Allergies – this reaction is to the proteins that can be found in latex or to the chemicals that are used in the manufacturing process. Interestingly the sufferer can not only be allergic to the latex substance itself but may also react to the microscopic powder which may become airborne and then inhaled.
- Shell fish Allergies – shell fish reactions can be really serious and shell fish can be found in whole host of places where you would not expect it. Generally the reaction comes on within minutes to an hour of eating the shellfish and like other reactions its possible for the sufferer to go into anaphylactic shock and require urgent medical attention.
- Dairy Allergies – it’s a common misconception that Dairy Allergies result in only mild reactions but nothing could be further from the truth. Dairy Allergies are actually the third most common food causing anaphylaxis after peanuts and tree nuts.
- Egg Allergies – are a common cause of allergic reactions in children and infants especially. Symptoms can come on very quickly or can manifest themselves after a good period of time. Either way Egg Allergies are generally not so serious but there remains the possibility that the reaction can be extreme and potentially fatal.
Why you need an Allergy Claims Solicitor?
Whilst we understand the reasons, almost inevitably any offers of compensation will fall a long way short of what the client is entitled to for a potentially life threatening allergic reaction and very often there may be a complete denial by the defendant which will stop most clients in their track.
Thankfully many clients realise that they need an allergy compensation claims solicitor to help them with their claim and once instructed we will put our minds to:
Winning the Argument and Getting the Very Best Result.
How Can We Help You?
Why not get in touch right now?
Our Allergy Compensation Claims solicitors are always very happy to make time to talk to all potential clients, and we can often give a really good idea of whether your allergy compensation claim has a chance of success straight away and right over the phone.
Don’t worry we won’t give you the hard sell – just an honest, professional opinion based on more than 20 years of helping clients just like you,