Can I Sue My Hairdresser?
Can I sue my Hairdresser? Going to the Hairdressers should be an every day event but we know only too well things can go terribly wrong – mistakes can have terrible physical and traumatic effects. Find out how to put things right.
Can I sue my Hairdresser? Helping you with your Hairdressing Compensation Claim?
Can I sue my hairdresser is a question we get asked a lot.
If you are thinking about Suing your hairdresser it’s not a mainstream area of the law and you need to be sure you choose the right lawyer.
If you are looking for a specialist hairdressing compensation claims solicitor to help you then you are at the right place!
- We have years of experience handling claims arising out of hairdressing disasters.
- There’s no doubt it’s hugely distressing when things go wrong and we will handle matters sympathetically.
- We help people like you throughout the UK and can offer a genuine No Win No Fee service. This means you will never have to worry about expensive legal fees.
- We know from all our years of experience that it’s certainly no laughing matter. Hairdressing injuries can be terribly painful, distressing and definitely worth pursing.
- We can take you through the whole process making sure that we give you the benefit of our experience.
- At the same time we will be seeking to maximise your compensation using trusted partners. We have connections with barristers, medical advisers and trichologists who are also experts in their respective fields.
Hairdressing is Unregulated – have you been unlucky?
There are incredibly over 40,000 hairdressing, barbering and beauty businesses in the UK.
What many people don’t realise is that these businesses are unregulated.
This means it’s not necessary to have certain qualifications or experience to trade.
It’s easy to see why hairdressing compensation claims are not at all uncommon.
It can take years for ruined hair to recover.
The impact upon confidence, self esteem and general sense of well being can never be under estimated.
We know just how devastating the consequences can be if your hair and scalp are damaged.
So what can go wrong at the Hairdressers?
There are many reasons why you might be looking to claim compensation arising out of a visit to the hairdressers:
There may be a training issue resulting in a number of distressing problems.
We hear complaints all the time about Hair Loss, Burns, Allergic Reactions, Skin irritation and dermatitis.
We have listed below some common causes of damage to hair in more detail:
Over Processing of Hair – this happens when there are too many products applied to the hair. Alternatively the product could be too strong for the hair, or it’s been left on for too long. Hairdressers should guard against over processing by strand testing before carrying out the treatment.
Incorrectly Fitted Extensions – the extensions have to be placed at the right intervals and also with the correct amount of bond. If the hair extensions are not fitted in the correct manner then severe damage to the scalp and associated headaches can occur.
Chemical burns to the Scalp – hairdressers should always use chemicals in accordance with the manufacturer’s instructions. They also need to make sure in particular not to leave the product on too long otherwise damage to the scalp and hair is likely to result.
Allergic reactions – these are commonly caused by hair dye but they can be avoided by a simple skin test which will reveal any issues such as swelling and rashes. If you have not been offered a patch test and suffer an allergic reaction you may well have a claim for compensation.
Cuts – there is no excuse for you to suffer cuts at a hairdressers. It simply means your hairdresser has failed to carry out their work with the necessary skill and care. Cuts may also occur if the equipment being used is not functioning correctly or hasn’t been maintained properly.
Hair Loss and Bald Patches – this can be temporary as well as permanent.
Dermatitis – this can be caused by a combination of factors including exposure to chemicals, contact with water and detergents as well as hot air.
(- the list could go on and on! …)
What to do if you have suffered Hair Damage?
- Seek immediate medical attention to receive the necessary care and treatment. Be sure to mention the circumstances of your injury so that this is recorded in your medical records. Remember to keep visiting your doctors afterwards so that you receive ongoing medical advice as necessary.
- Report the matter to the manager of the salon making sure that you have their full name and follow up any oral complaint in writing. (We know from our experience that salons sometime attempt to wriggle out of liability by claiming our client never even attended the salon for treatment. We cannot underestimate how important it is for you to have good evidence to prove which salon was responsible.)
- If relevant see if you can find out the specific products that were used.
- When you report the incident ask for details of the Salon’s Insurers.
- Take photographs of all the damage you have suffered so that you have a good body of photographic evidence showing the full nature and extent of your injuries. Remember to make a note of exactly when the photographs were taken and continue to take photographs at regular intervals.
- Make a diary note to record the level of any pain or discomfort and to note down how the effects of the treatment are affecting your everyday life.
- Keep a note of all expenses you have incurred arising out of the hair damage.
- Contact us to make sure you have done all that you can to help yourself.
Can I sue my Hairdresser for Compensation?
In general terms compensation is payable when the hairdresser fails to take proper care of your safety resulting in injury, damage or loss.
Often this will mean you have suffered physical damage to your hair or scalp which may in turn lead to psychological harm.
If your hair has been damaged in any way and you are considering bringing a claim then we would be delighted to hear from you.
We will be able to let you know whether we consider your claim is likely to be successful.
We will always be happy to give you initial practical advice to protect your position.
How Much is Your Claim Worth?
Every hair claim is different and involves a range of possible heads of damage and financial losses.
It is therefore difficult and nigh on impossible to provide even a general valuation unless we speak with you personally.
Having said that in very broad terms these types of claim can be worth anything from £3000 – £10,000 depending upon the nature and extent of the injuries and the timescale of recovery.
There are a broad range of awards for hair damage. It also needs to be remembered that so much depends upon the extent of any psychological damage and of course the speed of recovery.
- We would be delighted to hear from you so that we can speak to you about your particular circumstances.
- We can then look to provide you with an initial valuation to help you.
- Please remember that a final valuation can only be given once we have all the appropriate medical evidence, this will deal with the nature extent of the damage and also the all important prognosis for recovery.
What are your legal rights when your haircut goes wrong?
- First of all, it’s very important to make sure that you tell your hairdresser that you are unhappy with your haircut.
- If you don’t express your dissatisfaction at the time then you may well be considered to have no genuine cause for complaint. For this reason, if you are going to pay anything for the haircut then make sure the payment is made under protest.
- Hairdressers are responsible for providing a service and the Supply of Goods and Services Act 1982 governs them.
- You can always ask the hairdresser to try to put things right but very often this won’t be something you will want to offer.
- A Claim for compensation is the obvious remedy here and this is where we can help to protect your position and make sure your claim covers all the relevant elements so that you come away with the right level of compensation.
What is the Claims Process?
- Once you contact us we will be pleased to confirm whether we consider your claim has prospects of success.
- If so then we will help go through the various heads of loss to make sure everything is included.
- We’ll send out a detailed letter of claim to the Defendant salon setting out all the issues.
- The Salon’s insurers will respond to confirm if the claim is accepted. Otherwise they will set out the grounds upon which liability is denied.
- If it is necessary for us to gather expert evidence to support your claim we will organise this for you.
- If after the service of the medical evidence the defendant continues to contest the claim we will proceed to court.
- The process from start to finish can take between 3 to 18 months. Much depends upon the extent of the injuries and whether the claim is defended.
Why talk to us?
- We have lots of experience and expertise to help you bring your claim.
- You can be sure that you will get all the help you need and will be with you every step of the way.
- We will finalise your claim on the best terms available.
- Please look at our trusted reviews which will tell you what our client’s think of us.
- Talk to us today and we’ll get you the compensation you deserve.
Can I Sue My Hairdresser via a No Win No Fee? – Absolutely…
- We offer our clients a genuine No Win No Fee agreement which you can count upon.
- If for any reason your claim doesn’t succeed then no problem we will not charge you a penny.
- We will finance your claim from beginning to end – there’s no money to be paid upfront.
- There’s no need to worry about hidden charges and getting into costly agreements.
- You won’t be left out of pocket – whatever happens.
Call us now and let’s make a start…
Make a free enquiry